Wednesday, February 22, 2006




I've been thinking a lot about my future...

More often than not, these thought sessions are revolved around who I'm going to marry, how many kids I want to have and whether I want our family vehicle to be a Range Rover or Escalade.

My most recent session consisted of an indepth look at my job situation and Grad school. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job. I just need to start thinking about my next step. I will have been at my job for one year next week, and I have learned so much. I just don't want to get complacent. This brings me back to the whole idea of "Finessing" every situation you are presented with. I don't want to seem ungrateful for my current position, but I also want to show that I can handle more responsibility. The word "Finesse" has sort of a negative, and sneaky conotation. My definition of the word is strictly a declaration of all the many blessings and skills we have and using them to propel ourselves through whatever glass (and in some cases, concrete) ceilings that are placed in our way! Amen!

Back to my thought-session:
Soooooo, I have been giving some real consideration to the idea of Grad school. Not that I wasn't before, but with the fast-paced life I live the subject kept getting pushed to the sideline. I know that as a BLACK WOMAN in the country that Grad School is something that is not only a smart thing to do...but pretty much necessary! I encourage all my fabulous black ladies out there to look into Grad School. I hate playing the race card, but I gotta keep it real.

So far I have been looking into programs at Columbia and NYU. Although I would love to look beyond New York City, it's just not something I can do financially and plus-- if I do enroll in grad school while keeping my current job, my company will help with tuition! That is..... if I even get excepted :o( Gone are the days of explaining your SAT grades by showing your exceptional report cards, or flowering my application with things like Senior Class President, Model UN Delegate, Student Council member, or Varisty track and field athlete! For someone that DOES NOT take a great standardized test....I'm going to run into a few problems!Pray for me!

Love and Light...

No comments: