Friday, November 10, 2006


Euphoric, Amazing, Inspirational, Fun, Excellent, Hilarious, and completely Unforgettable… are all words that describe my evening last night. (This morning I literally had to ask myself: “did last night really happen?”)

I had the honor of dining with one of my idols…Robin Givhan (!!!!!!!!!!!)

Yes, it happened. I mentioned in my Fashion Week review that I had met the Pulitzer Prize winning fashion journalist (for the Washington Post) at the Jenni Kayne show. Being the fabulous woman that she is, Robin agreed that when she got back from the shows in Europe that she would schedule a dinner with Zandile and I.

I was skeptical. Someone of Robin’s status in the fashion industry are extremely busy and cannot always stick to their word and frolic with the common folk. However, after keeping her word and sharing a night filled with non-stop chatting, smiling and laughing… Robin has proven that kindness, humility and excellence can coexist in this industry! Amen.

We talked about everything from her woes and wows of becoming the writer she is today…to our common love for the Ali G Show! Don’t get me wrong; you know we HAD to talk about fashion and what she thought of the shows this season.

Surprisingly one of her favorite collections was Valentino. I say “surprisingly” because we haven’t really heard of anything super-fabulous coming from that house in several years. She mentioned that Valentino’s dedication to his vision was what won her over. Robin also noted that Phillip Lim, Derek Lam, and Jil Sander also topped her list of favs (you can check out all of their collections at www.style.com). (pics below in the following order: Valentino, Phillip Lim, Derek Lam and Jil Sander)


When asked what she looks for in a collection, Robin said that: a collection needs to support a clear vision and furthermore remain consistent in that overarching theme. The clothes also need to be intriguing and not just another old pair of pants or frilly top.


I love that word…”intriguing.” I have to agree with her. My favorite collections are the ones that make me wanna leap out of my seat and touch the pieces…and examine their structure…put them on…dance around in them…and ultimately cause me to temporarily lose my mind and believe that they are worth their ridiculous prices!



I love that fact Robin was so free with extending her wisdom. Another piece of advice that she offered us in regards to pursuing our careers was: “Don’t take everything so personally.” Fashion (along with many other fields) is an extremely difficult career to work in because of the strict deadlines, high stress, vanity, and competition. She says the best way to combat all of these issues is to stay focused and worry about your own individual responsiblities…and knock them out of the park!


This might seem obvious, but we often get caught up and don’t realize how sensitive we’re being. It’s about having thick-skin! However, being tough mentally isn’t an excuse for being unkind. The truly fabulous, are those who can balance being tough, successful and kind all at once.

I truly hope (and pray) that I will be able to enjoy even just an ounce (ok, maybe more) of the success that Robin has experienced. She truly is an amazing woman, writer, role model, and fashionista.

P.S. If you're anything like me, you'll want to know exactly what was worn to an event as monumental as this. Well, I was in head to toe black with vibrant accents... I had on a black cashmere short-sleeve Uniqlo top, a DKNY jersey knee-length skirt, black opaque tights and my black suede Miu Miu wedge heels. I added my fabulousness by wearing a pair of my rhinestone shoe clips, large antique rhinstone stud earrings and a heavy coat of red Chanel lipstick. Very classic chic!



If you aren't already reading Robin's work, I advise you to start immediately! No true fashion-mad person should got without her unique perspective on fashion, politics and art! Oh, and did I mention she won a Pulizter??

Check her out:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artsandliving/fashionandbeauty/index.html

Love and Light…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! ...I'm also looking for your Miu Miu wedges..the Neimans here only has them in peep toe!