Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Normally RUGBY and the name JULEE would never be uttered in the same sentence. However, my life is anything but normal...

Last week I decided to take my self proclaimed girlie-girl, somewhat bougie, fashionista-self a little less seriously (or a little more seriously depending how you look at it) and start playing RUGBY!

I know, I know... I'm crazy right? I've heard it over and over again that Rugby is just football without pads, and that I just might end up killing myself. Pish posh people! I'm an athlete first and foremost. Last time I checked I am the same gal who dedicated four years to Division-I track and field. I think I can take a few over-grown women trying to tackle me...but they have to catch me first!

Anyway, I attended my first Rugby practice last Thursday and I'm thirsty for more! I must say that I was a tad bit nervous, but after meeting the team I felt really welcomed. The team is made up of both "amateurs" (like myself) and actual nationally ranked players.

The first practice went smoothly once I figured out that you can only throw the ball behind you and kick the ball forward. Talk about confusing! We jumped right into playing a 7 on 7 touch game and I managed to catch on fast. I even scored a "try" aka a "touchdown" for all the Rugby illiterate (like myself)!

Sooooooo everyone, I have decided that I will return to the field this Thursday and see if I survive another week. This week we start tackling, so I will make sure to report back. In the meantime, I will proudly strut up in down the streets of New York City in my fabulous Manolos and sundresses. Who knows, after Thursday I might not be able to wear them! Pray for me!

Love and Light...

No comments: