Tuesday, March 14, 2006


Apparently finessing runs in the family...

During my drive down to PA this weekend with my Uncle Mike, I learned that finessing is not only nurture but it's also nature. My Uncle might be one of the best finessers I know!I was in awe as he explained situation after situation of how he has used his education and skills to get where he is today...The assistant athletic administrator for the city of New Haven, CT. (He's also a history wiz). Not too shabby!

It's a relief to know that my children (Wilson and Josephine) will genetically inherit a portion of Mommy's finessing skills!

==================================================

I'm making strides in my mission to take over the publishing world! They might not be huge strides, but they are strides none the less. I have been lobbying for the advice and support of the fabulously successful black woman around me, and the results have been great. It's always important to bounce your ideas off the people whom you respect. I'm blessed enough to have a lot of those people in my life, and God willing the list will keep growing.

I guess I'm on a mentorship kick since I just came back from a breakfast introducing a mentoring program to breed diversity in the field of publishing. Of course this is something that I will definitely put a lot of energy towards. I would not be where I am today without the help and encouragement from my many mentors. In turn I need to "pay forward" the generosity I have been afforded.

WORD TO THE WISE: If you don't have a mentor...Get one!!

How? NEVER ask someone to be your mentor. Rather, find someone that you respect and look up to and present yourself a way in which they will want to encourage your development. A potential mentor needs to see that you are dedicated, reliable and passionate about the field in which you'd like to excel in. If you follow your heart and work hard, people are going to notice and will extend themselves and their time to you.

If you already have a mentor, hold on tight and make sure they know how much you appreciate them. There is nothing worst than using people to get where you want to be and then disregarding the people who helped you get there....shame! My mother always told me to "never burn your bridges" and that advice has served me well. Not only has that mantra helped in my professional life, it has more importantly aided in my development as a respectful human being. It all goes back to treating others how you want to be treated. Amen!

Love and Light...

No comments: